A Welcoming Environment for All
Our vision is to be the Boston hospital of choice for all people, coming together in service to BIDMC’s mission.
The Office for Diversity, Inclusion and Career Advancement (ODICA) helps develop a vibrant community of interns, residents and fellows by providing one-on-one support and other programs that are designed to increase the satisfaction of faculty and trainees underrepresented in medicine (UiM).
At BIDMC, our vision is to cultivate a culture of belonging for all members of our community. BIDMC is an organization that values the unique perspectives and contributions of each person and is committed to attracting, engaging and continuously developing a diverse, premier 21st century workforce. BIDMC is committed to advancing an equitable environment in which all people are respected, their voices are heard, and they can work to their potential. Only then can we provide extraordinary care where the patient comes first.
ODICA helps cultivate a workplace that welcomes all cultures, languages and lifestyles. We support our trainees and faculty with the following initiatives:
- Sponsoring Boston-based leadership development opportunities for multicultural professionals
- Offering competitive research grants that support junior, multicultural physicians
- Designing online and in-person training for topics such as unconscious bias and healthcare equity
- Hosting annual distinguished lectures on topics such as healthcare equity, social justice, diversity and inclusion
- Organizing networking and social events
- Formalizing trainee support and career advancement groups
- Offering mentoring opportunities for medical students and medical school-bound college students
- Sponsoring students from historically black medical schools for specialty rotations, sub-internships and summer research programs
- Participating in LGBTQ health education sessions and citywide PRIDE events
- Joining forces with the BIDMC’s Academic Careers and Faculty Development team to sponsor diversity initiatives
- Collaborating with Harvard Medical School’s Office for Diversity Inclusion and Community Partnership
The Team at ODICA:
Dr. Olveczky is the Director of BIDMC’s Office for Diversity, Inclusion and Career Advancement (ODICA). A native of Trinidad and Tobago, Dr. Ölveczky was named the inaugural Officer of Inclusion for the Department of Internal Medicine at BIDMC in 2018. In this role, she is working to create faculty development sessions about unconscious bias and health justice. She is also Chair of the Harvard Medical School Academy’s Cross Cultural Interest Group.